Blueberry Boy Bait Muffin Tops


So I had intended on making these for my daughter's breakfast, but now I understand why they are called "boy bait".  I was testing a fresh one out and took the plate up to darling hubby to offer him a bite.  I never got my plate back.  They really are delicious, fluffy and very moist with a sweet crunchy top.  I made them in a muffin top pan but I expect they would work in standard muffin pans or the traditional 9" square pan as well.  And since R has now eaten one and a half huge muffins, I will have to hide the rest so she doesn't turn into a blueberry.  ☺  She has enthusiastically requested one in her lunch, so I will be finding out how well they freeze soon.  I made these with frozen blueberries straight out of the freezer.  I would say that is the way to go to avoid clumping.  Otherwise they would have to thaw completely and pat dry before tossing with flour.

Blueberry Muffin Tops aka Boy Bait
makes 6 muffin tops (2 servings each)

½ cup butter, softened
zest of one lemon
¾ cup + 2 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups light spelt flour
2 1/8 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine grain sea salt (use ¾ tsp if using unsalted butter)
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups blueberries + 2 tbsp flour (frozen blueberries are fine, just bake a few minutes longer)
3 tsp sugar (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream the butter, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.  Add to butter mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk.  Begin and end with flour and mix just until incorporated.  Toss the blueberries with the 2 tbsp flour and gently fold into batter.  (Batter will be stiff.)  Grease the muffin pan well with butter or coconut oil.  Divide the batter evenly among the wells.  (It will spread a bit as it bakes so it doesn't have to be perfect.)  Alternately, use a well greased 9" square pan.  Sprinkle the tops all over with the 3 tsp sugar.  Bake for 25-35 minutes (depending on whether your berries were frozen) until golden brown and centers test done with a wooden skewer.  (If you just want to make sure the center is done, turn down the oven to 325º for additional baking time.)  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.

(If using regular flour instead of spelt, you many want to increase to a full cup of sugar.  Spelt has a subtle sweetness to it that lets you get away with less.)

Slightly adapted from alexandra's kitchen.

Comments

  1. I'm amused by the name of this muffin. But they look so good,no wonder you didn't get your plate back! Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful. I still giggle each time I see the title "Boy Bait" :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.